Join AAUW Maryland a membership community that is changing the climate for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy and research. AAUW Maryland has 13 branches located throughout the state and the Maryland online community.
The Winter 2020 Marylander is here.
In this issue:
- Plan to attend state winter board meeting via Zoom on January 16
- Volunteer or nominate a friend for AAUW state office
- Learn how Nancy Grace Roman’s bequest will support national AAUW STEM work
- Prepare for State Legislature Advocacy Day February 4
- Think about changes proposed in state and national bylaws
- Consider how you can support the National Conference for Collegiate Women Student Leaders
- Learn about resources are available to focus on diversity and inclusion
- Get inspiration for branch programs and activities and cheer members’ accomplishments
Support the 20020-2021 AAUW Maryland Women of Distinction (NCCWSL) Fund
Donate to the AAUW Maryland Women of Distinction Fund before April 1, 2021. You will be helping Maryland honor Dr. A. Yvette Myrick, its Woman of Distinction as the Platinum sponsor of the AAUW Women of Distinction Ceremony at the 2021 National Conference for Collegiate Women Students. (The 2020 NCCWSL conference has been postponed one year.)
Take Work Smart Online Today and Improve Your financial Future!
Work Smart Online, a free salary negotiation course to help women better their financial future!.
This easy, engaging e-tool will teach you to:
• Learn the market value of your skills and experience
• Determine an equitable “target salary”
• Ask for—and get—the pay you deserve
Here’s the best part: The program works! In surveys with our participants, nearly all reported having more confidence and better negotiating skills after taking the class. After attending a Work Smart program, nearly half of participants were able to negotiate for a raise, promotion, or higher-paying job.
Take Work Smart Online today and improve your financial future!
The Late Nancy Grace Roman Honored by the Maryland Women’s Hall of Fame and NASA
AAUW Maryland 2016 Woman of Distinction Nancy Grace Roman was inducted into the Maryland Women’s Hall of Fame on March 19, 2020. Unfortunately, the ceremony was cancelled. The full biography of each of the Hall of Fame inductees ii on the website of the Maryland State Archives. The Maryland Commission for Women also hope to recognize the honorees at the August 26, 2020 Women’s Centennial Summit and hope that you will attend that conference. Watch the Maryland Commission for Women website for more information about that event.d improve your financial future!
On May 20, 2020, NASA is naming its next-generation space telescope currently under development, the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), in honor of Dr. Roman, NASA’s first chief astronomer, who paved the way for space telescopes focused on the broader universe. The newly named Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope – or Roman Space Telescope, for short – is set to launch in the mid-2020s. It will investigate long-standing astronomical mysteries, such as the force behind the universe’s expansion, and search for distant planets beyond our solar system. Read more.